We're here to help with your solar questions.
With expert knowledge in mind, we’ve created the Solar Knowledge Hub. It is here we explore the benefits of solar power, how solar systems work, renewable energy innovations such as electric vehicles, off-grid tips, the latest solar energy news from around the world and the ways in which it affects our local community.
Take a look around and check back regularly – we’re always trying to help spread the word, so there’s regularly something new posted here.
- How Sustainable Are Solar Panels?I believe Solar is what we need in New Zealand to meet our 2025 target of 90% renewable energy. There are few opportunities for new Hydro generation due to limited locations and the environmental impact. New Zealand has such good conditions for Wind power, unfortunately NIMBYism holds wind back. You would have ... Read more
- Solar & Batteries for New buildsSolar is something most people think about when building. If you or someone you know is building new, it makes sense to start thinking of your home’s energy needs. I will give you a run through of what you should think about when it comes to solar for your new house. ... Read more
- Virtual power plants, Micro grids and Embedded networks?Microgrids, Virtual power plants and Embedded network solutions have been talking points lately. I’ll give you a rundown of what these are and how they can be useful. What are they? Virtual power plants (VPP) Already in use in other countries such as Australia, and the UK, Virtual power plants could be a ... Read more
- How to read your power billPower bills are challenging to make head or tail of – they are confusing to read, let alone interpret what they mean. Hopefully here’s where we can help you understand your power bill, and also show you how solar can assist in reducing it. What charges make up my power bill? No ... Read more
- Electric Vehicle ChargingWe get asked more and more often about electric EV charging. It’s great to see electric vehicles gaining popularity. We have put together a list of some of the questions we often hear. Where can an EV charger be installed? Most EV chargers are capable of being installed inside or outside. The most ... Read more
- Case Study: Valli WineFrom 1930s Central Otago shearing shed to solar-powered sanctuary in the vines The Central Otago sun is a key ingredient in the production of Valli Vineyard’s award-winning Pinot Noir. So for winemaker Grant Taylor and his wife Nicole, tapping into this golden resource to power production beyond the vine just makes ... Read more
- Is solar panel efficiency important?There is lots of talk about how efficient different solar panels are. Does efficiency really matter and if so, when does efficiency matter? Solar panel efficiency is a measure of how much of the sun’s light hitting a certain surface area is converted into usable electricity. This is measured in a ... Read more
- What are the different types of solar systems?Grid-Tied Solar A grid-tied solar system consists of solar panels and a grid-tied solar inverter. This is the most common form of solar installed throughout the world. The solar system generates electricity, this electricity is used in the home and the excess is sent back out to the grid. If the ... Read more
- How much am I paid for exporting solar power?Solar power buy-back rates are the price per unit at which energy retailers pay for excess/exported solar power. When solar panels are installed on a property an import/export meter is installed upon completion and commissioning of the system. The meter is changed by a local independent inspector (we organise this on ... Read more
- Is the Tesla Powerwall 2 worth it?The Tesla Powerwall 2 is the most popular and cost-effective home storage product on the market, but is it worth the investment? The Tesla Powerwall 2 offers a range of functionality: Storage of excess solar energy. Up to 13.5kWh of backup in a power cut. Off-peak charge and peak discharge. So let’s look at the ... Read more